There are five types of materials available in OctaneRender.
- Diffuse — Used for dull, non-reflecting materials or light emitting surfaces (mesh emitters).
- Glossy — Used for shiny materials such as plastics or metals
- Specular — Used for transparent materials such as glass and water
- Mix — Used to mix any two material types
- Portal — Used to designate openings such as windows or doors in otherwise closed interior scenes, to allow the render kernel to better sample light from those areas. The Portal material is covered in more detail in the Lighting section.
The most commonly used materials are the Diffuse, Glossy, and Specular. The Mix material is often used to blend any combination of these material together to provide deeper surface characteristics (figure 1).
Figure 1: Octane materials rendered in a maya scene
The OctaneRender materials can be accessed from both the OctaneRender shelf and the Hypershade window (figure 2).
Figure 2: Access the Octane Materials using the shelf or the Hypershader window.