- OctaneRender License - If you do not have a license, you can purchase it on our purchasing page or upgrade your existing license.
- Cinema 4D Host Application - Maxon Cinema 4D host application. Please note Cinema 4D should be updated to the latest version as a minimum in order to run the Cinema 4D plugin. This means you should be on at least R20.057, R21.155, S22.118, R23.110, S24.111, R25.015. To update Cinem4D to the latest version, navigate to the top menu bar, click Help > Check for updates.
- Hardware - NVIDIA graphics card
- OctaneBench (optional) - You can test your GPU with OctaneRender by installing OctaneBench. OctaneBench® allows you to benchmark your GPU using OctaneRender.
Installing Octane for Cinema 4D R19 or below: https://youtu.be/Dydb1JNfVFE
Installing Octane for Cinema 4D R20+: https://youtu.be/nPjloJ3X7x4
The following steps use a different method from the video linked above.
Step 1) Download the OctaneRender plugin from the Downloads page of your OTOY account and extract the content of the archive. Add the content to the plugins folder in Cinema 4D file system. We recommend using 7-zip as some utilities sometimes run into issues.
Step 2) The c4dOctane folder will come with several versions of the plugin in it. In order to avoid any loading issues, delete all of the c4dOctane-R(version number).cdl64files that you will not be using. For example, if you are using R18, you would delete the c4dOctane-RXX files that do not match R18. You should not delete the other files (res, Lib300)
Step 3) Starting with version R20, Maxon Cinema 4D does not include a plugins folder. You will need to create this folder in the Cinema 4D R20 folder. Example: Program Files > MAXON > Cinema4D R20 > plugins (you need to create this folder!) > c4doctane
Important note: The "plugins" folder should be lower-case. The folder is case-sensitive so you may encounter issues if the plugins folder isn't all lower-case.
Step 4) Launch the Cinema 4D application. You will be prompted to enter your OTOY account credentials.
Once you have entered your credentials, you should see an Octane tab at the top of your application.
Now you should have successfully installed the OctaneRender for Cinema 4D plugin.
If you launch Cinema4D and the startup is stuck on "Initializing"...
- Check your c4doctane folder to confirm you've deleted the RXX files that do not match the Cinema4D version you are using.
You can see Octane in the menu but you can't click it..
- Check to see if Cinema4D is the latest version, click Help > Check for Updates in the C4D menu.
If you get a CUDA 700 render error..
- Check to see if your NVIDIA driver is updated. Next, check to see if your OS is updated.
If you continue to have issues, you can write our support team at email@example.com
The OctaneRender for CINEMA 4D manual can be found here.